17.8.05

Jesus Army Community, Day 35: Unity

A quick note about the Agape meal last night, a touching time where we expressed our gratitude to God. We took a good look at some of our faith-targets for growth and sang many songs to our oldest sister who has just reached her 80th birthday.

One incident left me feeling grieved though. At one point there was a rather arduous discussion. I don't think that in itself disturbed me, I usually like a bit of controversy and confrontation. However it sparked off something inside of me, the emotions of which I could not quite put my finger on. All I could say was that in my spirit I felt a tear-jerking burden for close Christian unity. The kind of unity Jesus ascribed to the Trinity in John 17.

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me... May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory...
John 17 (New International Version)

In the Jesus Army there is quite a lot of discussion on church unity at the moment. We can't be parochial but, where it is possible, we need to be so much closer. That unity described by Jesus is not just for our Lord and His Father but for us also. To me it is vital, and it seems that unless this is achieved nothing else is worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment