20.12.05

Edge of self (part 2) - Jesus Army Life, Day 158

I need to talk about love. Yes, okay, romantic love, but not only that type of love, parental and spiritual love too. The whole caboodle, the pink candy flossy stuff, the deep mystical kind, the "...but it's 3 'o clock in the morning, again!" type. All of it.

Another excellent conversation I had this weekend was with my brother's wife. She's in the throws of discovering motherhood. And, wonderfully, she feels like she's fallen in love all over again. But it's more than sentiment to her, she feels a mystical quality about it too. She is experiencing life, not only in new ways, but through new eyes, and to her it is as if her senses have come alive, and perhaps sharpened, as a result.

I've heard other people describe similar experiences before, but curiously when talking about God, not motherhood. For me there is something of a link between the two, and why not? Each have their own value and both highlight the benefit of loving others. In each there is the renewed possibility of 'living on the edge of your self'.

It's made me think I've been somewhat foolish. In spite of, or perhaps because of, my own experience of brotherly love, in its affectionate yet nonetheless stoical guise, or my (*cough) failed and very short-lived attempts at romantic love, I realise I've become afraid of being overwhelmed by love of any kind at all.

I've believed, rightly, the teaching that love is about perseverance and loyalty, and forgot that love is also about adventure, discovery, otherness, beauty, the sublime, wonderment, mystery, living life at its fullest. Seriously, I had come to the point where I believed that "being there" was about as much as I could ask of anyone, or they could ask of me. I guess I got a bit institutional about it all. Shying away from being truly open about feelings with brethren, I got snarled up in my own selfishness. Hope died.

Only in my rather fuzzy reception of God's love has there been an awesome, jaw-dropping, depth of experience which has blown me away. (Though, even here, I wondered if I had been short changed.) The cold reality is: if you expect little you get little. In my spiritual life I've had to deliberately pursue God because I've known he's worth it. He offers stability and security but there is so much more to this eternal Father... how could we ever explore to the end? Surely it must be the same with other relationships too. Another soul should be seen as an adventure. Living for others can be a painful experience, but it doesn't need to be a joyless one.

7 comments:

  1. I love you, mate. And I still get misty-eyed about it from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can well relate to the 'but it's 3am in the morning again' thing, happens far too offten here.But what you say about parenthood is very true.Great post mate, love it in many ways.

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle pulling back from people too. Thanks, it's encouraging to hear someone who believes God will take them deeper anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will You Marry Me ?

    Ecclesistes ch.4 v.9
    "It is better therefore that two should be together, than one: for they have the advantage of their society: If one fall he shall be supported by the other: woe to him that is alone, for when he falleth, he hath none to lift him up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautifully written post on the most beautiful of emotions. You seem to have been given a rare insight, perhaps because you have experienced the depth of true love although not the romantic kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bit further on the parent aspect of this, parenthood really does that you to the edge of self.It takes you to the edge of self in way you couldn't even begin to imagin before you where a parent...and the sleepless nights are only the half of it

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Tschaka what a wonderful sharing of your real heart. I must caution you that romantic love exciting as it is, comes and goes in long term relationships. And motherly love wears very thin at times. But love does have the ability to renew itself if you just hang on in there. love and respect, Kay

    ReplyDelete