6.6.06

Times of intimacy - Jesus Army Life, Day 315

The whole community was round the table last night. It seemed ages since we had last been together just by ourselves - even last night we had a few guests with us. There's been so much going on, some of it in the various activities of the church, and personal situations have kept some of us away, but distracting activity has been going on simply in our hearts and has meant that we were absent even though present at the table.

I've been musing on the importance of intimacy lately. There can be intimacy round the dinner table, even if shared between five or six or even twelve hearts. Guests can be welcomed into that intimacy too, it need not be exclusive, but it is important to value and protect that intimacy: to share hearts and not ride roughshod over what others highly regard. With intimacy comes commitment, in fact you cannot often have intimacy unless there is a sense of commitment. It is a precious thing.

But I'm thinking also about how others can be invited into that intimacy safely. I probably won't find an answer. Intimacy is about sharing, and nothing can truly create that intimacy if one party is not willing to share. Yet there must be a way... something to ponder on I guess. I wonder how Jesus approached the issue. There were times when he deliberately went to private places with his closest men and there were times when that intimacy was invaded by others who wanted to be a part of his life.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/6/06 14:39

    ...and there were times Jesus wanted to be totally alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/6/06 16:37

    I could be wrong but here is my take in things,

    Intimacy is created by a mutual willingness to share based on a foundation of trust and respect for each other. Trusting that the other personal will not abuse or devalue what is shared and respecting what they they are not yet willing or ready to share. In time as trust & respect grows it leads to a greater understanding of each other which in turn leads to a greater willingness to share more. It's a careful balancing act between encouraging others to share and recognising when to allow them the freedom to just be.

    Some of the most intimate times of my life have been in the company of someone both of us saying nothing at all and being completely comfortable with it.

    'DD'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/6/06 16:43

    An additional point to that...

    When more than two people are involved the dynamic changes, striking the right balance is more complicated. The prinicples however remain that same

    'DD'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a time of intimacy with God the other day. We were just together. He's so good to be with. I sang him a psalm (just opened my Bible and made up a tune...)and I think He enjoyed it. He smiled anyway and I felt strengthened just by being with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7/6/06 12:06

    That's beautiful James.

    Bless you.

    'DD'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7/6/06 12:12

    ... James, that's surely why Jesus wanted to be totally alone, to be intimate with His Father, indeed with Himself

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't want disregard what people have said, but I was thinking more about intimacy in terms of people together and how another person could be welcomed into that. I imagine there needs to be a process/activity of 'getting to know you' all over again. You can't drop people in at the deep end - it doesn't work. I think also there needs to be a certain amount of awe of the new experience by all parties concerned...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8/6/06 12:23

    Re-read your entry,

    '..But I'm thinking also about how others can be invited into that intimacy safely'

    How about with an open hear, God's love will love do the rest.

    'DD'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8/6/06 12:25

    did I say 'hear' LOL, I mean't 'heart'. Small mistake, big difference

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8/6/06 15:37

    before joining this church i never realy knew the beauty of a mutally intimate friendship. I had only ever had people in my life that I had abused or been abused by in one way or another with teh exception of my children.
    I am now learning how to just be with noe or two precious folk sometimes we just sit and be and do not have to speak just becasue we share the same vision and goal and my heart leaps when i can give out or be given too and we often just dwell on God together I think that it comes down to a mutal love for the vison and for zion that has enabled me to open up and just be with out having to put on an act.
    It truely is something so very beautiful it goes beyond anything i have ever experinced but it is something i long to share

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dee, I really know what you mean. There's a oneness when you're living for the same passion which can't be got hold of on the cheap. It's when we've 'forsaken all else' that the brotherhood becomes real - because we have nothing else. 'Where our treasure is, there is our heart'...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9/6/06 14:49

    My Son, I do learn from yr blog msgs but I wish yr contributors wld say where they get their quotes; the Bible etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's most likely to be Luke 14:33, but there's some reference by Peter in Matthew 19 as well.

    ReplyDelete