7.9.06

Heart of worship - Jesus Army Life, Day 404

Last night in our cell group we decided to spend time in worship. Seven of us ventured down to the prayer shed, we explored some scriptures and then began to worship.

Now, worship is never an easy thing in my experience. Of course, loving God is childsplay, it's the simplest thing to sing out your heart, even the birds can do that. But mankind is a complex creature and, because worship requires two participants, if God doesn't show up you're a bit stuck. The reality is, of course, that God will always show up, (he's omnipresent!) but will we always recognise him? We're not always in a place to receive him. And sometimes, if we're honest, we basically can't be bothered.

And that was the experience of some last night.

by 3rd foundation of flickr.comTrue worship, like prayer, requires an exploring of our own hearts, it means facing up to God - and that is not always easy to do. Jesus said that the kind of worshippers the Father seeks will worship him "in Spirit and in truth" remember. I don't think you can really worship if there hasn't been some spiritual rebirth in you, and you certainly can't if you're not willing to be honest with God. It's fundamental.

Truth be told it's one of the reasons I don't get on too well with charismatic worship, give me a soul searching, bitingly honest dirge over a lively 'Jesus is my girlfriend' song any day of the week. I need the grip of reality to express myself. I can't worship if I'm not being honest about where I'm at. I'd far rather worship with tears than with lies.

You can call me a moody old sod if you like (and you'd be wrong - I have a PhD in moodiness and am well able to blast my own self-pity out of the water when necessary...) in fact, I love a good energetic soul-satisfying knees up; the child in me always longs to dance. But nothing puts me in a stupour as much as falseness.

And I think, in one way or another, that it's the same for all people. True, we come to God by degrees, the closer we get to him the more horrified we become at the cruelty of our own hearts. Yet, whatever stage we're at worship comes down to a basic "I want you God" and an honesty to follow through the implications wherever they may lead.

May we raise men, humble enough and passionately honest enough, to lift the roof off when we cry out to God. And as they break through, may God say "Son, your sins are forgiven."

4 comments:

  1. I have been totally thinking about this esp after what piers was saying on sunday about it going deeper than our head and so this has really helped and totally convicted my sinful heart
    you blog is often a real blessing keep it going bless ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/9/06 12:01

    ow. just realised how false i am. well ive been thinking recently how out of touch i am with God and how i just seem to go through the motions rather than actually getting close to God. it scares me, but i dont actually know who i am, whats going on inside or anything. i have way too many brick walls and they refuse to come down. one day ill break them down and wont be able to cope, but maybe i will cos i always cope with everything. i can never just scream or do the things i want to. id rather resist and be really uncomfortable than show everyone how im feeling inside. its all falseness. im not meant to act, but i do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous15/9/06 12:47

    anon,
    one day those brick walls may start to come down, and I believe God will truly bless you with that. I believe He will be standing next to you, side by side, holding your hand and that even though there will be times of "I cant cope", You will, because God will give you mighty strength and power, and He will be there for you to lean on.

    His arms are always open. Wide. For you, and for me, anf for everyone else. Just choose to run into them. Allow Him to work.

    Hard isnt it? I know.

    You will be in my thoughts.

    ets

    ReplyDelete