11.9.06

Stimulating conversation - Jesus Army Life, Day 408

brilliant photo by zoom zoom of flickr.com Last night I had a wonderful chat with two friends whom I don't often get to talk to much. It made me realise how, with all the comings and goings, I truly miss the joys of satisfying stimulating conversation.

This is no one's fault in particular, there are many characters in my social circle capable of holding witty or inspirational dialogue, and they do. But I suppose the trouble is that we are focused on a cause. And so all that we talk about is the cause: its challenges and mysteries, its successes and failures; and, when you see the same people all the time (and when you have a chance to talk) that cause is the only on going conversation. Familiarity breeds contempt? I don't think so. I imagine its the same in various business offices up and down the country: you either talk about the work you do or something shallow like the latest scandal.

And such dominance of our chatter is not problematic per se. It reflects the focus of our heart. But it is so nice to be able to turn your mind to something else or even (remembering that we did talk about God a fair bit) to simply approach the subject from a different perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous14/9/06 07:11

    I've just read the last half dozen entries and enjoyed them Tschaka. Having known you a while I see thinking that has become much clearer, and a heart that is relishing many good things in a situation of blessing. It tastes very good.
    Love
    Piers

    ReplyDelete