30.10.06

Exercism - Jesus Army Life, Day 456

by spidrwegian of flickr.com Okay - I'm going to go public with this one. Having had certain comments about a recent request for a skipping rope I thought I'd explain how tricky it is to do some exercise in community.

Now I know this is going to sound like a moan but did you know moaning uses at least 15 calories an hour so there you go... It's been suggested I do some running which I already do, mostly on weekends - the trouble is that I have to leave for work at about 7.30 in the morning, given that I also want to use some of my morning time to pray as well, if I'm going to exercise and shower I'm finding I have to get up close to 6am. I've tried, I just get tired at the other end of the day.

Doing half an hour of any exercise is difficult because, actually you have to change your clothes, stretch and get a shower afterwards too. You're talking about at least 45 minutes out of your day - and in community terms that's quite a lot.

On the basis that I'm supposed to do 30 minutes exercise a day and that I have a non-active desk job, plus coming up to two hours' car journey for work each day, I'm failing miserably. (For those of you who don't know community evenings are full of meetings so there's virtually no time there.) And then there's the fact that you have to find some room to do it, preferably out of other people's way and certainly away from the embarassment zone of the sisters. We're talking almost mission impossible.

Skipping seems like a useful option because you don't need much space and it's high impact - I can fit it into a busy schedule, don't really need to get changed to do it, but now, following brief mention of the skipping rope the ridicule of the church community is now falling upon me and I'm not sure I'm going to be able do anything to cope with the onslaught except reach for another slice of community cake!

13 comments:

  1. Ha! Too true. I just go walking all the time to pray, I must clock up a mile a week. Running wherever possible's good too, though in town harder to find opportunity than at the Farm after agape, that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know jumping rope is one of the best exercises you can do...all the best fighters do so why others should ridicual you for jumping rope is beyond me...after all you are a fighter for a cause....

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. well bro, what about doing some pressups??? a few minutes just after you wake up.... i actually do 6 miles a day in my bike!!! but thats only coz i cycle to work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like fun. Oh the joys of exercise. I spose I'm meant to do that to, just never really get round to it...and i have no room to do it inn my room. no way lol. yeh well go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it. If you get a rope, I'll show you how to do double jumps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a jump rope if you need it Stu..got about three in the house and no one uses them much..happy to send you one if you want??

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even harder Strengthener if your commuting time is almost two hours each day. And cheers Fabio, I'm fairly muscular as it is but it doesn't get rid of the extra weight.

    TJ, can you send me a rope? Thanks :-)

    And, as predicted, I did get more ribbing last night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure I can send a rope....not sure I'll have time to dig it out today but will send one up soon(don't think you'd want the pink musical one ; ) )

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skipping is actually a very manly exercise you know...why'd you think all the best boxers in the world do it!

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. No DD, to keep them fit and their footwork swift..(I've a friend that used to box)

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. im pretty sure the excercise bike was in the spare room last i saw it... i dont see why anyone has a problem with you exercising. the only problem i have with anything like that is when people insist that they are fat or need to loose weight when they arent and dont. but exercise is always good anyway. keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the only thing that i seem to manage these days is a walk on my free day and I have sttarted to walk on sunday to church and back when i am not needed to drive
    it is so hard to fit in any regular exercise but ah so easy to fit in time to munch
    glad we do not have a cake tin in our household
    Love your blog bro it is so daily life and down to earth yet deep and beautiful at times much grace and many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete