17.11.06

The prayer meeting - Jesus Army Life, Day 473

by zeeDOC of flickr.com I'm going to write this and try not to sound self righteous... and probably fail... here goes: We have a regular prayer meeting which begins at the ungodly hour of 7am in the morning. Up till recently it was attended by all of 2 going on 3 people, this week we moved the meeting from Friday to a slightly more convenient Thursday and now it is attended by 3 going on 4 people. Please note the deliberate tone of sarcasm - there are twelve people who live here.

It's not that I want to begrudge anyone their sleep, I'm an early riser, it's easier for me than others, and sometimes I forget; but getting up one morning a week at ten to seven isn't like being a Cistercian monk and getting up at daybreak, it's just asking you to be a Jesus Army soldier. And I'm cool with those who've decided that this is something they don't want to do, not everybody needs to be there - we're mature adults and we can choose how we manage ourselves. The thing is (sigh) we have made a commitment to prayer meetings, it is part of our covenant together. For good reason we can't afford to be nonchalant about our prayer-life - as a household we have to remain in the will of God.

Please don't accuse me of being intense, this is far from intense. I am simply convinced that God honours our dependence on him.

photo by zeeDOC of flickr.com

10 comments:

  1. But 7am isn't really that early..if you'd said 5am I'd understand those wanting their beds

    ; ) The TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. tschaka
    I am so totally convicted
    our prayer time is 9 on a sunday morning and I am regularlly finding a reason not to be there
    I have no excuse other than I am too selfish
    but that is me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think next prayer meeting time you should make everyone breakfast and wash their feet to show that serving wins more people than moaning.
    If you dare.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, lean on 'em. You have to. It's not like 7am is any kinda sacrifice is it? Be the dad mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good old Tschaka. You could hardly be accused of being too pushy, and you're right. I guess the enemy achieves quite a lot by hindering us from praying. And I'm quite sure you would make breakfast and wash everyone's feet - I hope anonymous is as committed as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you possibly advertise the fact that there is a prayer meeting more clearly? I never knew there was one until fairly recently, and, i never knew the day had changed. I personally think its not spoken of very much except in hushed voices in a corner of the room which i accidently over hear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it's difficult to know how pushy to be with these things. If announcing it at Agape and at House Family Breakfast (where I've often cooked breakfast) and a notice on the noticeboard isn't enough, probably nothing will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi my Son, when I was doing commando training we were up at 5am (they played bagpipes!) and on parade ready to go at 0600. Surely the soldiers of Jesus who aim to save lives can do better than Royal Marines trained to kill!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1/2/07 00:15

    Hello, I am glad you liked the picture "The Prayer" but it has creative commons and I didn't gave my authorisation for you to use it. I feel sorry to ask you to remove it from your website.

    Thank you,

    neocorsten

    ReplyDelete